Loss Vegas

31 05 2014

Vegas Sunset

The alarm sounds. It’s 4am, and the birds aren’t even awake. After two taps of the snooze button, Big Papi, the hungry beagle who senses any opportunity for a meal, doesn’t even trot on up beside the bed. If I was in any state to think, I’d be thinking, it’s way too early to interrupt the dream I’m in the middle of, especially if Papi hasn’t unfurled himself from his sleep-ball. I get up anyway, dodge a cat waiting for a pat, and turn on the bathroom light to stun myself into stillness like a deer in the headlights.

It’s 7-7 in the first game. I don’t know how I get it back to 7-7, the ball is bouncing like we’re in the middle of the desert, so there’s no surprises there. We’ve had one day like this in Massachusetts this year that hit 90 Farenheit, and I didn’t even play that day. Come to think of it, I didn’t play the day before that either, or the day after. I’m no longer a full-time professional squash player, I’m part-time, and in the part of time where I’m supposed to be a professional squash player, I’m visualizing the game. I can count on two hands how many matches I’ve played this year, and still have fingers to spare. But, none of this is going through my mind when it’s 7-7 in the first game, because I’m so focused on enjoying the match, and maybe just too busy actually doing so. I lose a point, and remind myself that losing a point isn’t the end of the world. It’s not like I’ve lost a limb. I’ve lost a point. I quickly forget the lost point and focus on the serve return at 7-8. Read the rest of this entry »





Being Honest And Being Sick.

2 09 2012

Short posts are the way to go! That way you guys know I’m still alive, and trust me, after this week I’m only just alive! I’ve had the whole week off training. 10% of the reasoning is because I injured my glute in the Henderson Open PSA, the other 90% is because at one stage I thought I had meningitis! After getting the shakes last weekend, I woke up on Tuesday with the dreaded rash (no, not that kind of rash.. For any dirty readers out there) that goes along with the head feeling like its going to fall off. Anyway, after waiting an hour and a half with a room full of crazy people at the local A&E, I was cleared with a viral infection, and prescribed with drugs for Africa.  Read the rest of this entry »





The Start Line

11 04 2012

I’m back playing squash. I’m really happy to say that. Like Pete in the picture above, some people probably didn’t recognise me after it has been so long. Lucky for me I was only put on the operating table and not the grill. It’s not an easy process, I suppose that fact is obvious, but I thought that when I was ready to play again I wouldn’t still have pain in my knee. Assumptions are glorious things, but often they’re wrong. Mine was wrong. You set these timelines in your head, “Yep, the surgeon says I’ll be fine to play again on this date” and you imagine yourself moving like a dream, and playing in World Series events haha. I know, I know.. delusions of grandeur! But do you get what I mean? I have 9 months of watching squash tv, and count down every day until I’ll be playing again. I guess if I do this so much then I start imagining myself playing in the tournament of champions, or the british open, because my head is always in that space, and not realising that at this time in my career, my place is court 2 at the national squash centre, with people eating subway sandwiches out the back of the court. Read the rest of this entry »








Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.